Thursday, May 14, 2009

Home is Where the Stronghold is…

I finished up a few Strongholds for Hordes of the Things in the last couple days. I think I need to get another one or two for the Campaign weekend.

(Remember: click on the pictures for a bigger version)


The first I made was a Mountain fortress.


This will nominally be the Dwarves stronghold, though it could potentially see use as a Orc or Goblin stronghold – or maybe even for the Wood Elves of Mirkwood…?


Number two is a generic palisade fortress.


Here is the backside.


Also a versatile one that could see use with the Anglo-Saxons, Vikings or Orcs – possibly others in a pinch.

Coming soon on Tim’s Miniature Wargaming Blog:

I think I might make a quick and simple elf one next – a stand of trees with a standing stone in the center… or a magic pool…?

I’va also finished up a couple more stands of Uruk-hai – pics of them when I finish the last three. I’ve also been working on some fun “lurker” stands…

5 comments:

  1. Nice!
    I've long wanted to build some kind of dwarf mountain gate thingie (ever since I saw one in one of the GW dwarf books). Some day... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you make your mountain fortress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, actually I carved it from styrofoam insulation with a knife (cold, not hot). I made a base and back of 1/8"MDF. I covered the foam with a mix of wood filler, carpenters glue and black gesso. Added some pebbles for scree or talus around the base. Painted and highlighted.

    The doors are also 1/8"MDF with detail made by cardboard and brass wire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look very nice. I think the base of the dwarf stronghold could use some slight variation of color though, or perhaps some scrubby vegetation or lichen.

    ReplyDelete